Giving Thanks this Holiday

Friday, November 18, 2011 · Posted in , ,

About two years ago, I was forced to join an exclusive club with a hush hush name. I was scared at first, and knew nothing about its policies, procedures or how long I would have to be a member. Immediately, I read all I could find about it. I was soon introduced to other members and asked many questions. They all answered to the best of their knowledge, referring me to others when needed, and some I would even consider experts. I found out it was a huge umbrella organization with many branches under different anatomical names, and that was just confusing as this message is. I decided to stick my ‘head and neck’ out to find out more about its history, its members and written literature. Everyone I met, some strangers in fact, were helpful and supportive in my quest and quelled my fears that I now accept as being the culture of the club. Some had blogs and communicated their concern and question for the club like pen pals. I was becoming fond of my club, and no matter what my outside concerns were, they were always there for me. I had faith in people again after being a cynic in the big city for such a long time. Soon I had enough knowledge of my club to seek out other branches and was able to recognize members of all shapes, sizes, nationalities and sexes in public. Most you wouldn’t know that fact at first, but some were more obvious than others and wore certain colors, t-shirts, bracelets and ornaments, I guess they were proud members. Some had a certain look about them like demeanor, hair style, skin tone and in extreme cases cosmetic surgery. I found out this was a powerful global organization and some of its members were even willing to dye to maintain their membership which was backed by politicians, celebrities, money and research. What did I get myself into. Soon I was proud of my club also wearing my ‘burgundy and ivory’ colors and started to spread its news and concerns to non members who I found were just as supportive as a member would be with lots of interest. Some were strangers to me at first, then becoming close friends, and some I reconnected with after years or decades of losing contact, including ex-wives. Most, if not all, encouraged my heath, happiness and pursuits in life and I now appreciate trivial things I sometimes took for granted like cooking, eating, walking, seeing, breathing and believing. I always appreciated family, work and living an honest life, but appreciate them even more after joining my club, especially around the holidays. I just want to give thanks to all members and non members for this and hope you all find health and happiness for years to come. Fortunately, I just can’t recommend anyone for membership, nor can you just join. It kind of finds you for life when you least expect it. If the club finds you, there are many others, including myself, who have walked in your shoes and will be there for support. By the way, the name of the club is called “Cancer.’


View the original article here

Powered by Blogger.