Running Away From Prostate Cancer - Part 10

Thursday, November 24, 2011 · Posted in , ,

I think just about everyone has had to go through a working test period at one of their jobs. This is the time when you have to show that you are a productive worker that deserves to be employed by that entity. Typically, working test periods last about six (6) months. Where I work everyone has to go through a working test period every time they get a new job. In the fall of 2007, about five months after my cancer surgery, I wondered whether my "six month test period" would end up being as positive as my last check-up. I wasn't fighting to retain a job. I just wanted to remain busy and positive about things.

I've always enjoyed the fall because of the typically great running weather, Halloween, and the foliage. Running along numerous trails in my area, you get an up-close look at the colors of fall, as the leaves float downward. I even try to catch leaves as I glide along the trails without breaking stride. This isn't as easy as it looks, but it can be fun. To be able to actually catch several leaves, you need to have good timing, coordination, luck and last but not least, persistence. I liken my recovery to this simple pursuit. My timing needs to be good because I have to follow my doctor's orders for check-ups and work on the things that are in my control to improve my situation. My coordination had improved in that I had steadily gotten my urinary control back along with my sexual function, with a little help from modern medicine at times. Despite my diagnosis, I was starting to feel that my luck was getting better given my most recent doctor appointments and the good results. I also was determined to stay as busy as possible so I resumed coaching high school boys recreational basketball, which I really enjoy.

One of the things about going through cancer surgery is that you soon realize that you're not alone. People don't freely talk about these matters, but when they come to the surface it's surprising how many people have been through similar experiences or have a family member that they supported through the process. So instead of feeling isolated or saying things like "Why me?", it made it easier to cope. One of the great things about my doctor is that he allows patients to be put on a contact list so that others who are going through the process can get feedback from people like me who have been through the surgery. I have been contacted by at least five different people about my prostate cancer removal surgery and my wife has also exchanged e-mails with several wives to help provide information from that perspective.

Although running is now my favorite sport to participate in, professional baseball was my number one sport growing up. I've been a Red Sox fan my whole life despite the many disappointments the franchise went through from the 1970's to 2003. So with the Red Sox back in the playoffs, it was a great diversion for me. I watched just about every minute of every game, occasionally switching the channel if it looked like something bad was going to happen. I guess you could say I'm a bit superstition but aren't most baseball fans? Anyway, the Red Sox went on to win the World Series again just like in 2004. My six month check-up went well in November of 2007. I had less than.1 for my PSA and was feeling more and more like I did before my procedure. Just prior to my appointment, my wife and I purchased season tickets to the UCONN Men's basketball season at the Gampel Pavilion. This was another enjoyable diversion we had set up to stay busy in between my recreational basketball duties and work. I resumed working at my full-time job in early July after a month or so recovery period, which included a vacation to Florida.

With my colder weather starting to set in, I continued with my running in anticipation of the Manchester Road Race on Thanksgiving day. I continued to set goals for myself for work, running and my continued recovery. I find it's so much easier to stay focused when you've committed to do something in advance.

I'm a environmental engineer, runner, writer and poet. I have a running blog at http://www.kenmajor.blogspot.com/. There are a number of articles about running and outdoor activities. Feel free to stop by and check out my posts. I think you might find something useful.


View the original article here

Powered by Blogger.