What Matters - Lessons from Life

Sunday, November 20, 2011 · Posted in ,

Have you ever thought about what is important? I mean really important. Not your job, your office, not your car, your house, or any of your prestige or your things.

I mean what really matters. Most things you can lose, but replace. Some things you just can’t replace, like someone you love. People matter, and in particular, those people. The ones we love, the ones that love us, the people that depend on you, the people you depend on. The people that love you, the people that give, support and share for nothing. For no reason other than the kindness in their heart. The desire to make your life better. To enrich all they touch. Because it is good, and it matters – to them, that you are comforted or happy, or pleased, or amused, or humored in some way.

Those people teach us to be better people. To hone our own contributions to be bigger and better, and more valuable as we learn to give without taking, because we learn to care and know that is the essence of what matters.
Where does this come from? Why do some people have it in large measure, and some people are just evil? Is it because of genetics? Maybe. Maybe not, it probably is a case by case reality. Some people are good and become great. Others are OK and become terrible.

I think a lot of the outcome ultimately, is up to each individual. You can’t blame love or hate – on luck. People either strive to develop a relationship and to enrich it, ignore it because they are centered on something that doesn’t really matter, or pour amazing amounts of energy into dark acts. Energy that could have just as easily been used for something good.

I expect when I get to the gates God will know what my W2 looks like and won’t care. God will know I had a Corvette and won’t care. God will know my address and doesn’t care. I believe the million dollar question also isn’t what love did I get. I think the whole judgment is what love did you give with no expectation.

Did you stop to change the tire for that elderly couple? Did you make a difference more than not? Did you enrich the lives of your children, or give them an example of who they don’t want to become? Did you enrich the life of your spouse, your siblings, your parents, your neighbors, your community, your colleagues, your place of worship? Did you learn from your mistakes in life? Did you give enough? If not why not? Did the other things you were doing, really matter?

I know better now than ever, the importance of these things. I am facing mortality, does it take that to figure it out? Not for everyone. Others will never get it.

I believe the world is far more weighted toward good than evil. Unfortunately, the evil minority seem to have an unfair influence on the quality of life here on planet Earth. But whatever the driving reason is for evil people, I feel my life has been influenced more by the spirit that you have, and have shared with me, and others.

I know that because you wouldn’t have read this far if you weren’t a loving, giving person.

It’s people and all we love that matters. My family, my dogs, my friends, my colleagues, the sunset, the Elk that drift though the 200 acre parcel across the street, Paul McCartney, Mozart, and a ton of other things that God influences to fill our hearts with joy. None of that costs anything, and yet it has the most value and in the end, is the only thing that really matters.

Before it is too late, did you make a difference today? What did you give? Did it really matter?



View the original article here

Powered by Blogger.